Is it Just Me, or is that Mountain Smoking...?


Ever just wake up, make yourself a good cup of jo, look out your window and appreciate the beautiful, majestic volcano in the distance? No? Me neither usually. But when you’re a study abroad student traveling in the gorgeous country of Guatemala - a country with a total of 37 volcanoes - that’s just a good ol’ fashioned “regular” day.

On my week long excursion in Guatemala, I never stopped short of being amazed by my surroundings. That being said, I unashamedly had “tourist” stamped across my forehead 24/7. The music, the busseling artisan salesmen constantly husseling around the corner, and the smells (oh, the smells)...I soaked it all in. But nothing, and I mean nothing, beat the shock and awe of witnessing the smoldering, mountainous volcanoes surrounding the cities of Antigua and San Miguel Escobar.

Occasional small, but bright eruptions from Volcán De Fuego could be seen from our pasado at night, whilst during the day billows of smoke puffed from Volcán de Pacaya - a volcano we had the honor to climb! We even roasted marshmallows on the side of Pacaya, using its natural “vents” of heat to melt gooey snacks - now who can say that so casually?

Well, apparently now I can.

So thanks Guatemala, for sharing your natural treasures with me everyday. It’s a bitter sweet feeling looking out my Texan home window and not seeing huge, miraculous, fiery mountains every morning. But you can bet that, in addition to the Pacaya volcanic rocks I managed to smuggle back home, I’ll forever keep the memory as a cherished keepsake.

- Rosalind Walker ‘17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working and shopping

A Boy, a Mountain, a Sarape

First Aggie Horticulture Experience in Guatemala