The Heart of Guatemala



From the very first day I noticed people eating at long tables on the side of the streets together, enjoying and valuing each other’s company. That was only my first glimpse into the character of the Guatemalan people. One of my main fears when going into this trip was the language barrier, I don’t speak Spanish and many of the people we talked to in Guatemala don’t speak English. This barrier may have been noticed at times, but it definitely didn’t stop me from seeing the hearts of the people I encountered. Each night we would eat with a farmer’s family and they would kindly serve us the most delicious meals. People who we had never met would welcome us into their homes and try to decipher our poor Spanish in order to share with us their stories. I was able to learn about their lives, the coffee industry, their past, and their future goals. 

One of our activities for the week was to buy food for dinner that night. As we walked through the market, I saw a woman selling her fruits and vegetables and I stopped to ask her if I could take a picture of her. Once I had taken the picture another woman ran up to me and wanted to see the image on my screen, she loved it! She went on and on about how beautiful the picture was and she now wanted me to take a picture of her so that she could see it. After I did, she again rushed over to stare at my screen and proceeded to ask me to take a picture of everyone else nearby. Although they didn’t want their picture taken, we laughed and smiled together, each of us not really understanding one another, but nevertheless enjoying each other. 

Another one of my favorite times was while we were at our artisan workshops, I was in the group that built wooden trays. While we were working, the wife of the house made us coffee and brought us sweet bread. She talked with us the whole time with her smile never leaving her face. That night at dinner she even talked about Guatemala’s history and Rigoberta Menchu with us, which is a really tough subject. Not many people will share about that time, but she graciously shared her thoughts and knowledge with us. Before leaving she gave each one of us a huge hug that completely summed up her sweet spirit. 

Those are just two of the many moments I was able to share with people in Guatemala. Through the trip I got to hear people’s stories, see their lifestyles, pick coffee next to them, and listen to their goals and dreams. The people I met were hospitable, friendly, hardworking, and so patient as they showed our group their country and helped broaden our view of the world. Each encounter was a blessing and the people I met made this trip so wonderful.

- Julia Minter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working and shopping

A Boy, a Mountain, a Sarape

First Aggie Horticulture Experience in Guatemala